Saturday, September 3, 2011

ALL IN - what's it mean?

"ALL IN!"

In poker, you've just pushed it all to the center of the table.
In the United Kingdom, an all-out 20th century British wrestling style.
In entertainment, an HBO special featuring "nothing held back" Dennis Miller.

On his knees,  a sweat-drenched Jesus of Nazareth laying it all down: "Not what I want, Father.  I'm all in with Your Will."

On the practice turf of the team Cyclone warriors, it is the cry that quietly captures what it takes from each man  to make something special happen.

Last night, Dustin Brooks and I heard that and more from about 20 Cyclones in a priority:one huddle in the Gold Room.  "Everything I have focused on one common goal."  "Family"  "Nothing allowed to distract"  "Every man bringing every thing he's got"   Great commitment; intense leadership.

So, what does it mean in a relationship with God?
Two different worlds...the same...or what?


"One (the relationship with God) gives energy and power to the other (all-in football)."  That's how they see it.  These guys, like the apostle Paul, don't think they have arrived yet (check out Philippians 3), but they are in the hunt for a more powerful relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, and the experience of having that power energize an all-in effort with the entire Cyclone football family.

"Every athlete exercises self-control in ALL THINGS...I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.  I discipline my body, and make it my slave...to receive an imperishable prize" (1 Corinthians 9:24-27).

Every ALL-IN athlete does this.  Especially those empowered and energized by the God whose strength is without limit.

Go Cyclones...

No comments:

Post a Comment