Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Free At Last

Unless you're isolated away in a sound proof, sight-proof box, then you are well aware that we are marking the 50th anniversary of the freedom March on Washington - August 28, 1963.

I was a scant 9 years old then, and only days old "in the Lord."  Twenty two-days earlier, I had knelt beside the orange couch on the green carpet in our home in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and placed simple faith in Christ, realizing like never before that He had died for me and rose again.  Glad like never before that I could be fully forgiven of my sins.  Free at last.

As a 9 year old, I did not follow events in Washington, D.C.   In southeastern Wisconsin, I was not aware of tensions between whites and blacks; I was just beginning to be taught American History.  I had no appreciation of the struggle of blacks in our country "to be free."

TIME magazine's issue reminds us of those turbulent times with a series of articles around 4 touchpoints - One Man (Martin Luther King, Jr.), One March (8/28/1963), One Speech (King's address at the Lincoln memorial), and One Dream ("I have a dream today...").  It is said that in the moment, King set aside his scripted speech and let words of unparalleled power and moral authority flow.

The crowd loved it.

I've heard the tape of King's speech many times.  It sends a chill down the spine when you listen to it with eyes closed, putting yourself in the moment.

I imagine that a greater leader, the Lord Jesus Christ, had moments like this as well during his career of teaching and healing some 2,000 years ago.  His words were equally, if not even more so, powerful.  "You shall know the truth," he offered, "and the truth shall set you free" (John 8:32).  This is often quoted, but the context of his statement neglected.  Jesus tied the experience of being "set free" to (John 8:31) "obeying my teaching and truly being His followers."

There is a great freedom in being released from slavery, from overcoming in the right way (King: nonviolently) after a long period of abuse and mistreatment.  We have come a long way since the oppressive days of legal slavery and persistent segregation and discrimination.  We still have a ways to go.

But there is a greater freedom in knowing and following the Lord Jesus Christ. There is an enslavement to sin that is not overcome apart from Him -- His truth and His direction in our lives, indeed His presence in and with us.

Are you free today?  Are you following Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment