Saturday, December 27, 2014

HAVE YOU GROWN THIS YEAR?

You may find it in the bedroom.  Perhaps on the wall in the “utility room” (that was the name for the room where our washer and dryer and industrial sink could be found).  Maybe even in the garage. 

If there are small kids, they may step up to it every week, or monthly.  When grandparents come over, the kids may take their hands and lead them to it.  “See how much I’ve grown, Papa?”

In countless homes there are yardsticks, or perhaps nicely painted markings on the wall alongside the door jam.   And next to the inch and foot designations, there are additional marks, perhaps with a name and a date next to them.  “Jill – March 2013” and then “Jill – November 2013” and then again “Jill – April 2014.”

Kids quite naturally love to see how much they’ve grown.  Most want to grow up too fast, perhaps, but wanting to progress and become an adult – both physically and personally – is natural, normal, and healthy.

Life without goals and progress is stagnant and, if you will, lifeless.

HAVE I GROWN?

I woke the other morning after a trek across the country with this question in my head.    Chronologically, I’ve lived over 6 decades.  Physically, unless I decide to eat too much too often, I will not be growing any more.   But life without goals and progress is, well, you know…

My confession is that it took me awhile to size up the more important growth measurement in my life.  I don’t have a tape on the wall that I can stand next to (for some, crafting a list of “resolutions” becomes their next year’s “stick”) that will give me a read.  So I had to think.  “Have I grown?  If so, in what ways?”

TO THE MEASURE OF THE STATURE OF CHRIST

Now there’s a yardstick!  But in fact it is our Father’s measuring tool for us (Romans 8:28-29, Ephesians 4:11-16, Colossians 1:29).  Simply put, How much more like the Lord Jesus Christ have I become this year? 

But how do you measure this?

Some might quickly reference “the fruit of the Spirit” as a helpful set of measurements.  “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23).  Still, besides simply saying, “Yeah, I think I got better in those things,” the list begs a closer analysis, which can be helped by turning the list into 9 questions.  For example:
·      How have I expressed more genuine, self-less love this year to others?  To whom?  When?
·      In tense or stressful situations, have I more consistently been peaceful because of my dependence on the Spirit of God?
·      Has my typical harsh responses to people I disapprove of yielded to more gentle responses?

Time spent reflecting on questions like these can accomplish two things (at least).  One, it can open up a conversation in your heart with the Holy Spirit about how much like Christ you are (or are not) in simple, identifiable areas.  And second, it can help set a “measuring stick” up on the wall of your thinking for future reference.  Jotting down questions like that, and referring to them each quarter, could be a major way the Holy Spirit grows you and me in the future.

If you’re truly brave (or open to God’s Spirit), you may even invite trusted friends, or your spouse, to join in the conversation.  Sure it may sting a bit, but the humility that it can produce in your heart is the soil from which new life can grow.

ASK GOD FOR THE QUESTIONS ON YOUR MEASURING STICK

Even though our Father has the same outcome for all of us (i.e., to be like the Lord Jesus in character and obedience), the questions for each of us might differ a bit.  That’s the exciting part – the questions for you are up to your Father, His Spirit, and you. 

My encouragement – take some time with your Father and craft a spiritual measuring stick for 2015.

For the team I coach (Christ Community Church), we are landing on 6 questions.  I’ll cite them as an example.  Perhaps they will get you started on your own:

1.    Did God make my day?  (i.e., Where does God show up on my daily calendar of to dos and events)
2.    Is the Holy Spirit flowing through me? (i.e., Do I express the Spirit of God’s flow through my living)
3.    Who shares my tough stuff? (i.e., to whom and how often am I accountable spiritually, personally)
4.    With whom am I fishing? (i.e., building shaping relationships)
5.    How worn in my welcome mat? (i.e., inviting others into relationship, and toward God)
6.    How are my spiritual investments doing? (i.e., am I helping another disciple grow)


Don’t get mired in a stagnant life.  Get growing…

No comments:

Post a Comment