Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Passing of Earl Tice

My friend Earl Tice passed away yesterday.  He lived 79 tough years.

By his own account, he both loved and regretted his life.

He loved his family--his wife, his children, his grandchildren, his relatives (most of them!).  He loved racing around dirt tracks, mostly throughout Iowa, but also around the nation.  He loved working with his hands and building things.  He loved figuring out things and coming up with ways of doing them better.  He loved eating at the Grove Cafe (though he' never admit it), and at places like the Grove wherever he could find them.  He loved alcohol for too many years.  He also loved finally putting it aside and keeping it out of his life.  He loved a good laugh.  He loved men who had well-worn boots and oil-stained shirts and crusty, ripped out baseball caps.  He loved the Lord Jesus and His grace, and came to love the Scriptures.

He regretted a bunch of things he did do, or neglected to do - too numerous to mention here -- and frankly, no need to, because though Earl's heart was often remorseful, it was also comforted that Jesus really did love him and had covered the whole lot by his all-sufficient death for sin.

I loved being Earl's friend.  I loved helping him when his precious wife Lois was dying and heading for heaven at Mayo Clinic.  I've loved getting to know his family.  I loved his laugh.  I loved his gnarly hands.  I loved when he gave me "the gears" for not getting him coffee Sunday morning.   I loved how he courageously faced the cancer that had flooded his failing frame, and I love how he loved Jesus.

I loved being his pastor.

I will love seeing Earl someday next to the Savior, and with Lois his wonderful lifelong friend.

I also love the thought that perhaps, just perhaps, Jesus was waving the checkered flag as he roared across his heavenly finish line.




No comments:

Post a Comment