Friday, January 3, 2014

For What do You Pray?

While conducting an informal survey in my favorite coffee haunt today (sure...ask me about the survey!), a friend came in and we shared a few moments over the dark, black stuff.  I shared that I am praying through our church ministry's missionary prayer calendar.  There are several missions needs listed for each day.

"What do you pray?" he asked.

That's a great question to be asked, and to answer.  Many secularists (perhaps all) dismiss prayer as foolishness; not me.

My response to my friend was that I try to imagine (if I'm short on up-to-date info) where the missionary is, his/her setting, and think about the spiritual life and ministry challenges he/she may be facing.  We finished our conversation noting the importance of not just speaking with God, but listening to Him as well.

FOR WHAT DO YOU PRAY? [Finish the sentence]

I've been reflecting on our conversation in the after-burn hours.  My thoughts about what to pray about returned to a fresh conviction that grew in my heart last year.  I believe it was from the Spirit.

Succinctly, to pray "that Jesus Christ become the most important person to...." and you finish the sentence.

Perhaps the finish for you is a close friend who has not bent the knee of his/her heart to the grace and love of God found in Christ.  Pray that Jesus become her most important person.  Pray that Jesus become his model, friend, and Lord.

Perhaps the finish for you is your local church.  I find it odd that so many churches seem to talk so much about everything else but Jesus Christ.  How can this be?  Even a cursory reading of the New Testament puts us in a full-nelson about this.  He is central to everything...why not his local churches.

Perhaps the finish for you is your community, or the college/university which you serve in some capacity.  Perhaps the finish are the employees in your business, or your exercise mates at the local "we never close" fitness center. 

You finish the (above) sentence.  And let's pray together for the supreme centrality of the Lord Jesus Christ, in 2014, for everyone and in every place. 

Why not now?

No comments:

Post a Comment