Saturday, September 13, 2014

READINESS - in every season

"Be ready, in season, out of season."

Perhaps one of our (spiritual) enemy's most subtle strategies is to convince us that there are times to be spiritually in tune, and there are other times when it is just fine to be out of tune.  Ready one time, not ready the next. 

What I don't hear is THAT from Paul, the Apostle.

His viewpoint was that the door of opportunity could be narrowing.  In fact, it would narrow.  "The time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine" (2 Timothy 4:3).

Presently, it's open.  Men will listen to Biblical truth, although the rest of what Paul predicted does appear to be happening.  "Men with gather around them a great number of teaching who say what their itching hears want to hear." 

Quite a pic.  People having the itch of their ears rubbed and relieved by what they want to hear, rather than with the truth.

READINESS

With each day, I realize that each one is filled with opportunity to minister the truth and grace of God.  "Look for Jesus in your day," Paul Miller urges in A PRAYING LIFE.  Indeed.

Recently on a road trip with the ISU Cyclones, I dragged my sorry frame out of bed early and against the aching cries of my lower back I went to the Fitness Center of the Marriott.  I hoped walking down there that it would be empty, so my obvious lack of fitness would not be exposed to the general public.

My self-absorbed wish was not granted.  Two ISU coaches were there, one a graduate assistant working out the running machine more vigorously than I dared, and a second our running backs coach, who looked like he's lived in Gold's Gym the last 25 years. 

Still, I worked out my more modest routine.  And while doing my last set of pushups, I was prompted to approach Coach Ayeni (former running back and safety for Northwestern).  It led to some sweet conversation, and prayer for his work with our great kids.  His handshake did not crush my feeble right hand bones...but it was firm!

PRAY FOR IT...LOOK FOR IT

Our own days are shorter than we know.  The doors are still open to bring the interest of Christ and the love of Christ to someone new, someone you've not met before, someone who (as I've found over and over again) will welcome your kind initiative and even a prayer for their day. 

Pray for it.  Look for it.  Be filled with the Spirit.  Let the Spirit flow through you (John 7:37-39).

No comments:

Post a Comment