Saturday, March 5, 2016

ABOVE Fine GOLD - Psalm 119:121-128 (God's Alphabet Song of Truth - AYIN) #16

I love Your commandments above gold,
above fine gold.

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Ever hear that?  I did just yesterday.  From the candidates.  Those in the hunt to be elected to  (arguably) the most powerful executive position in the world (POTUS) usually say something akin to this in order to be chosen.  Give people more money - or lead so as to make the economy vibrant so that everyone has just about everything they want or need, and the POTUS -- the "people of the United States" -- will believe that you are the leader they need.

Is that your bottom line?  For someone's leadership?  For personal happiness?

Gold.  Fine gold.  When you whittle it all down, that's just about all I want, or need.

WELL...???

I stood behind a man in tattered clothes at a gas station quick-market.  He was trying to get his credit card to work in the card reader.  To buy lottery tickets. 

It's hard not to make what may be an unfair judgment when watching this.  Perhaps more accurate to my heart was sadness.

We run after many things that inherently have negative returns.  Often in 176 verses, Psalm 119's author asks God to keep him from foolishness.  "Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things" (vs.37).  "Put false ways far from me" (vs.29).   "Incline my heart to Your testimonies, and not to selfish gain" (vs.38).  

He realizes he must have a different economic philosophy for his life.  "The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces" (vs.72).  "I rejoice at Your word like one who finds great spoil" (vs.162).

With this PROVERBS agrees.  "How much better to get wisdom than gold" (16:16).

I have done what is just and right;
do not leave me to my oppressors.

Give Your servant a pledge of Good;
let not the insolent oppress me.

My eyes long for Your salvation
and for the fulfillment of Your righteous promise.

Deal with Your servant according to Your steadfast love,
and teach me Your statutes.

I am Your servant; give me understanding,
that I may know Your testimonies.

It is time for the LORD to act,
for Your law has been broken.

Therefore, I love Your commandments
above gold, above fine gold.

Therefore, I consider all Your precepts to be right.
I hate every false way.

You can hear the passion for something that lasts, something that lifts the press and fills the caverns of the heart with what it truly needed.

God's pledge of good, God's salvation, God's statutes, His testimonies, His commandments.  The Lord's right precepts.  A passion for a different good.

Finer, much finer, than a chancy ticket for gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment