Saturday, March 26, 2016

GIVE ME UNDERSTANDING - Psalm 119:169-176 (God's Alphabet Song of Truth-TAW) - #22 Final Reflection

Perplexity.  We are perplexed.  Are we not?

Consider the questions that tend to confound us...

  • why do eastern radical fundamentalists so passionately hate the west?
  • how do you explain the unswerving popularity of a presidential candidate who has broken every sane rule of campaigning?
  • why does racism persist?
  • where does selfishness come from?
  • why do the good die young, while those who promote evil flourish?
  • why can't we eliminate disease, and even death?
  • how could the incredible beauty, order, and irreducible complexity of life come (as some insist) from blind, unguided chance?
  • why do I do the things I don't want to do, and fail to do the very things I want to do?
  • how is it that even with every possible encouragement toward that which is good, my heart still wanders off into that which is bad?
There are more questions, of course.  You likely have your own list.  Our own ponderings come up short.  The perplexity persists.

Let my cry come before you, O Lord;
give me understanding according to Your word.

Let my plea come before You,
deliver me according to Your word.

My lips will pour forth praise,
for You teach me Your statutes.

My tongue will sing of Your word,
for all Your commandments are right.

Let Your hand be ready to help me,
for I have chosen Your precepts.

I long for Your salvation, O Lord,
and Your law is my delight.

Let my soul live and praise You,
and let Your rules help me.

I have gone astray like a lost sheep;
Seek Your servant, for I do not forget Your commandments.

I don't have all the answers; if you've read this blog before, you know that well.  Neither did the author of these final verses of Psalm 119.  

But, he knew where to find the best answers.  At least 9 times in 8 verses, he resets his lens on God's Word, the Lord's statutes, His commandments, precepts, rules.  UNDERSTANDING comes from a diet of deliberation of the ideas, words, concepts, commandments that proceed from the mouth of God.  Every word, Jesus said, when feasted on brings living.  Nurtures life.

Answers to the list of questions above can be found in God's Word, along with truth about how He alone rescues us from the present age and readies us for the life to come.

May you join me in this heart cry, and in a daily diet that attends it -- "Give me understanding according to Your Word."

Selah.

2 comments: