Monday, March 14, 2016

DELIGHT in TROUBLE - Psalm 119:137-144 (God's Alphabet Song of Truth - TSADHE) - #18

No one likes trouble.

All of us would prefer a trouble-free day.  A trouble free drive to work.  A body which doesn't need a doctor's visit, or a rush to the emergency room.  A trouble free marriage; a family that gets loves being together and encouragement shared between each other.

We'd prefer people like us and affirm what we do.  We'd prefer getting all the answers write on the test.  Better to have a car that you never have to take to the shop.  Better that our investments yield a 7% annual increase (or more).

No one wants to be attacked, or threatened, or bullied.

Yet in varying degrees, we all face trouble.  It happens in our lives, and sometimes we even open the door and (virtually) invite it in.  Trouble comes either from living in a world that is "fallen" in "frustration" (Genesis 3, Romans 8:20) or from consciously (and sometimes even unconsciously) making "fallen" choices.  Each day we live with this and we need help to manage this.

YOUR WORDS...THE KEY

Righteous are You, O Lord,
and right are Your rules.

You have appointed Your testimonies in righteousness
and in all faithfulness.

My zeal consumes me,
because my foes forget Your words.

Your promise is well tried,
and Your servant loves it.

I am small and despised,
yet I do not forget your precepts.

Your righteousness is righteous forever,
and Your law is true.

Trouble and anguish have found me out,
but Your commandments are my delight.

Your testimonies are righteous forever,
give me understanding that I may live.

Words from psalm writers like this one almost always express well what we personally feel deeply.  This 8 verse section gives voice to the life of a Christian - a great love for God's faithful, true testimonies and His compelling righteousness, combined with a walk through the days of life that can be tough, and frequently so.

"Trouble and anguish have found me out!  But...Your commandments (while I wrestle with the trouble) are my delight!"

Paul reminds us that nothing can separate us from the love of God found in Christ Jesus.  He lifts the sagging heads of the Corinthians in assuring us that we are always led in triumph by the Savior and His Spirit.  John reminds us in the book of Revelation that we can be overcomers.

"Give me (Your) understanding," says the Psalm, "that I may live!"  Lord, indeed, give us Your delight in days and times of trouble!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment