Thursday, February 11, 2016

Getting BACK on TRACK - Psalm 119:57-64 (God's Alphabet Song of Truth) - #8

Why are our hearts "prone to wander"?  The truth is they are.  The Bible tells us the truth about our insides, as unhappy the news might be at times.  "The heart," Jeremiah forth-told, "is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; Who can understand it?" [Jeremiah 17:9]

Don't stop reading.  "I, the Lord, search the heart, and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds" [Jeremiah 17:10].

WHAT WAY WILL WE WISELY CHOOSE?

If Jeremiah is correct, a most important choice is the "way" in which we choose to walk.   We may rabbit-chase the wanderings of an independent (and often inscrutably deceitful) heart.  Or, we may choose to make the Lord and His way our portion.

The Lord is my portion;
I promise to keep Your words.

I entreat Your favor with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to Your promise.

When I think on my ways,
I turn my feet to Your testimonies;

I hasten and do not delay
to keep Your commandments.

Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me,
I do not forget Your law.

At midnight I rise to praise You,
because of Your righteous rules.

I am a companion of all who fear You,
of those who keep Your precepts.

The earth, O Lord, is full of Your steadfast love;
teach me Your statutes.

Like all of us, the author of this song had to size up "my ways" and "turn my feet to" God's testimonies.  Not only did his own feet tend toward diverted ways, there were those around who wrapped cords around him and pulled him away.  

All the more important to intentionally refuse to forget God's law.  All the more important to rise at midnight and praise God for His righteous directives.  All the more important to choose companions who share a healthy, life-feeding fear of the Lord.    

PRAISE ON THE RIGHT PATH

The stanza finishes with refreshing joy.  A look at the earth that brims with God's enduring love.  Motivation to learn more of God's statutes.

Should you wake in the middle of the night, sing this song of recommitment to God's ways, and loving praise for God's provision.  And, tomorrow morning, turn your feet toward God's testimonies and run down God's righteous pathway.

No comments:

Post a Comment