Wednesday, February 10, 2016

When LIFE HEATS up - Psalm 119:49-56 (God's Alphabet of Truth - Zayin) #7

For most of us, life gets hotter if you will) than we sometimes admit.  

Sometimes the temperature builds over time.  Other times, the heat suddenly spikes.   Sometimes the heat comes from without (caused by others); sometimes the pressure builds within..

Prompted by the Spirit, the author of this Psalm is looking for hope, comfort, stabilizing promises, even a new song to sing and for fresh blessing to fall.

Remember your word to your servant,
    in which you have made me hope.

This is my comfort in my affliction, 
    that your promise gives me life.

The insolent utterly deride me,
    but I do not turn away from your law.

When I think of your rules from of old,
    I take comfort, O Lord.

 Hot indignation seizes me because of the wicked,
    who forsake your law.

Your statutes have been my songs
    in the house of my sojourning.

I remember your name in the night, O Lord,
    and keep your law.

This blessing has fallen to me,
that I have kept your precepts.

If you're someone who has a deep passion for the Lord and the truths of His word, you may be fortunate enough to be surrounded by supporters and encouragers.  

But not everyone is so fortunate.  Some pay a personal price professionally, socially and emotionally, and in some cases physically, to walk with a humble focus on the Lord and His "law." 

There is a candid honesty in this song.  Emotions admitted.  Support and comfort sought for.  When belittled, our heart needs to rebound back toward 

  • surety of what the Lord has said, 
  • the comfort His truth provides 
  • the peace God's name gives in the middle of a dark night 
  • the bright song which gives energy to daily steps that can feel heavy

The Lord has the resources we need for the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment