Monday, February 22, 2016

LONGING for RESCUE - Psalm 119:81-88 (God's Alphabet Song of Truth-Kaph) #11

Almost every Sunday, for many years, I've had the remarkable privilege of opening a Bible with hundreds of people who have come longing for salvation.

Let me be clear.  Not all of them would put it that way, and perhaps each share this "longing" to various degrees.  Some come to church, to be sure, because they have to come, leveraged by this or by that. Yet my sense has been that most come because they are either hopeful to get closer to God or longing for some kind of help.  Some kind of rescue.

Life so easily goes "south."  Physically.  Relationally.  Financially.  Professionally.  Emotionally.  Personally.

Yesterday, a bright, young, female psychologist who had spent some years in our church family -- and has this year started a therapy practice in Illinois -- shared how her practice recently began.  "After I finished my training in school, I simply put out the word...and before I could figure out how I was going to run my practice, I had clients pressing for appointments."

"People are so broken," I replied.  She nodded her head in incredulous agreement.

Psalm 119's poet felt broken.  He longed for rescue.

My soul longs for Your salvation;
I hope in Your Word.

My eyes long for Your promise;
I ask, "When will You comfort me?"

For I have become like a wineskin in the smoke,
yet I have not forgotten Your statutes.

How long must Your servant endure?
When will You judge those who persecute me?

The insolent have dug pitfalls for me;
they do not live according to Your law.

All Your commandments are sure;
they persecute me with falsehood--Help me!

They have almost mad an end of me on earth,
but I have not forsaken Your precepts.

In your steadfast love give me life,
that I may keep the testimonies of Your mouth.

These heart cries are reminiscent of Paul's admission to the Corinthian Christians.  "We were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself.  We felt that we had received the sentence of death" (2 Corinthians 1:8-9).

Why does God hang us out to dry like that?  Why does He allow it to get to such an advanced desperation?  "But that," Paul continued, "was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.  He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and He will deliver us.  On Him we have set our hope that He will deliver us again" (2 Corinthians 1:9-10).

"You must," Paul draws them in, "help us by prayer" (vs.11a).

You may feel the press of these verses in your life.  Listen to God's voice.  "I want you to rely on me like you never have before."  And, call on your friends.  Tell them, "you must help me by prayer."  

And while you are at it, help them by your prayers.  Relying on Him...helping one another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment