Saturday, February 6, 2016

OPEN for DIRECTION - Psalm 119:33-40 (God's Alphabet of Truth - He) #5

The description of "stubborn" cuts both ways.

Some admire a stubborn person.  I've heard young people talk thankfully that a grandparent, or a mentor, was stubborn about standards.  "Grandma was stubborn that way...and I loved her for it."

Still, my take is that a "stubborn" descriptive is mostly negative.  Like a mule that will not budge no matter how it important getting moving might be, a stubborn person often is willfully entrenched simply because he/she finds some idolatrous identity in it.  Forgiveness is not granted because an offense is stubbornly clung to, even nurtured.  Relationships stay broken and distant.  Wrong perspectives nurtured by a sinful heart refused to be reshaped.

A farmer asked his neighbor if he might borrow a rope.
   "Sorry," said the neighbor, "I'm using the rope to tie up my milk."
   "Milk?" exclaimed the first farmer. "Rope can't tie up milk."
   "I know," replied the neighbor, "but when a man doesn't want to do something, one reason is as good as another."

TEACH ME, O LORD

Not so with the one moved by the Spirit to write Psalm 119:33-40 (ESV) --

Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes
and I will keep them as my reward.
 
Give me understanding that I may keep Your law
and observe it with my whole heart.
 
Lead me in the path of Your commandments
for I delight in it.
 
Incline my heart to Your testimonies
and not to selfish gain!
 
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in Your ways.
 
Confirm to Your servant Your promise
that You may be feared.

Turn away the reproach that I dread
for Your rules are good.
 
Behold, I long for Your precepts;
In Your righteousness give me Life.
 
There is a marvelous humility knitted in the fabric of these words.  A sponge-like heart that wants to soak up God's wisdom, and be taught, given understanding not previously possessed, lead in a fresh path.  Eager to avoid a life given to greediness, or being star-struck with what is actually worthless.
 
Again, there is LIFE in God's word.  There is RIGHTEOUSNESS, or "right living."  There are PROMISES which reward and bless and bring goodness.
 
Someone has said that "Obstinate men don't hold opinions--opinions hold them."  Be held by something better...God's life-changing, life-giving ways.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment