Thursday, February 4, 2016

LIGHT for the WAY - Psalm 119:17-24 (God's Alphabet Song of Truth-Gimel) - #3

Deal bountifully with Your servant,
that I may live and keep Your Word.

Open my eyes, that I may behold
wondrous things out of Your Law.

I am a sojourner on the earth;
hide not Your commandments from me!

My soul is consumed with longing
for Your rules at all times.

You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones,
who wander from Your commandments.

Take away from me scorn and contempt,
for I have kept Your testimonies.

Even though princes sit plotting against me,
Your servant will meditate on Your statutes.

Your testimonies are my delight;
they are my counselors.

Every week, and almost every day, I hear from people who are desperate for advice.  Financial advice, relationship advice, medical advice, parenting advice, mental health advice, addiction-beating advice...the list is endless.

That's no surprise.  Life can be complex, and is made more so by the fact that our Spiritual Enemy (Satan) and our propensity to sin consistently muddy the windshield.

A KEY CONTRAST

This set of song-prayers expresses our heart's longing for something clear, fixed, and encouraging in a world in which we are sojourners.  We are making our way through, and heading somewhere else.  Our present experience is on the move, not rooted here, not settling here.  We will not be fooled into thinking otherwise, even when others may scorn or belittle us for such an orientation.  With this perspective, we can handle the plots of even the powerful (e.g., "princes") who live privileged and self-assured.



Still, sojourners need clarity and hope.  Clarity about how to live well in temporary times, and hope about where we will land.  The shifting sands of culture and coolness and morals make our souls long for God's solid commandments and life-anchoring rules.  God's testimonies are like an encouraging friend lifting our hearts and offering timely advice.  We find ourselves eager each day to hear the stabilizing blessing of God's Voice in God's Word.  We want more from our Rock.  "Open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of Your Law."

OPENED EYES

I'm finding bright clarity in the eyes of young men and women who find their delight in the Lord.  Just yesterday, I reconnected with a great young ISU football player named Brian.  He is a stellar athlete, but even more an unashamed son of God by faith in Christ.   When I asked about his walk with God, his face broke into that winning smile.  Genuine.  Eager.  Delighted that he knows God and is informed, guided, and blessed by His Father's Word.

When you are checked up by the difficulty of sojourning through this sin-compromised world, beg your Father to reveal His commandments to you.  Meditate on His statutes -- portions from His word that can provide clarity and direction.

His voice in His word will not disappoint.  It gives daily direction on the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment