Monday, February 8, 2016

TAUNTED toward TRUST - Psalm 119:41-48 (God's Alphabet Song of Truth-Waw) #6

"To reproach in an insulting matter, to mock, to belittle."

Her classmates taunted her for her hand-me-down clothes.

So offers one one-line dictionary for the word TAUNT.  It's nothing new.

Let Your steadfast love come to me, O Lord,
your salvation according to Your promise.

Then I shall have an answer for him who taunts me,
for I trust in Your word.

And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth,
for my hope is in Your rules.

I will keep Your law continually,
forever and ever.

And I shall walk in a wide place,
for I have sought Your precepts.

I will also speak of Your testimonies before kings
and shall not be put to shame.

For I find my delight in Your commandments,
which I love.

I will lift up my hands toward Your commandments, which I love,
and I will meditate on Your statutes.

A friend today asked for help, for his friend.  The friend's son is enrolled at ISU.  He has taken at least one religion class from an atheistic professor and has had his faith rattled.  Do I know of a book which might help?

Sure I do.  There are hundreds of them that can re-nourish the heart of faith.  Keller's THE REASON FOR GOD.  Veritas Forum's A PLACE FOR TRUTH.  Many more.

But taunts - especially when they come from teachers with advanced degrees - can unsettle.  Words of truth are needed, and need to be spoken.  They are available.  

But even more needed is the experience of the "steadfast love" (or lovingkindness) of the Lord in the life.  A rescue from the Lord in keeping with His promise of salvation.

Life's wide places and our heart's confidences come from delighting in the commandments and statutes of the Lord.  




No comments:

Post a Comment