Wednesday, February 24, 2016

TRUE NORTH - Psalm 119:89-96 (God's Alphabet Song of Truth - Lamedh) #12

Words evaporate. 

Their shelf-life is painfully brief.  Many times, that's a good thing.  Who doesn't glance back over one's shoulder and wince, "Grief...I wish I hadn't said that."  [Apparently, one of our presidential candidates doesn't think he needs to.]

Some words remain.  Lincoln's address at the Gettysburg cemetery, or his second Inaugural speech, are immemorial.  They deserve, if not demand, re-reading, even memorizing.

But many words (most?) are not worth the air that bears their vibrations. Forgettable as the score of a pro-baseball game in mid-season...1977 (or whatever year).

There are words, however, which are a fixed compass for eternity.

Forever, O Lord, Your Word
is firmly fixed in the heavens.
 
Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
You have established the earth, and it stands fast.
 
By Your appointment they stand to this day,
for all things are Your servants.
 
If Your law had not been my delight,
I would have perished in my affliction.
 
I will never forget your precepts,
for by them You have given me life.

I am Yours; save me,
for I have sought Your precepts.
 
The wicked lie in wait to destroy me,
but I consider Your testimonies.
 
I have seen a limit to all perfection,
but Your commandment is exceedingly broad.
 
These words deserve, even demand, attention, if not memorizing.  Find in them theology (what we can know about God himself, His character), soteriology (how we are saved by God himself), cosmology ("You established the earth...all things are Your servants"), morality ("I will never forget your precepts"), and so much more.
 
The true north in this author's life are the fixed and beyond-perfection treasure of God's Words.  "By them, You have given me life."  Jesus once asked his disciples, "Are you going to go away as well?", when rootless followers were pealing off.  "To whom would we go?" Peter asked (in one of his better moments), "You alone have the words of eternal life."
 
Find delight and life in God's Words.  Let them be the magnetic field which attracts your compass and aligns your living.

No comments:

Post a Comment