Friday, February 26, 2016

IQ or WISDOM? - Psalm 119:97-104 (God's Alphabet Song of Truth-Mem) - #13

I've never forgotten one description of a brilliant person.

"He's forgotten more than I'll ever know."

I've been around many people like that.

I remember when I first encountered Daniel Wallace (who now teaches NT Greek and Exegesis at Dallas Seminary).  Dan was a classmate in an early DTS Greek course.  Vintage 1971.  We sat next to each other in our Goodwill-rack sport coats (shirt, tie, coat required in class back then).

It wasn't long before I realized I was out-of-my-league.  A Wheaton undergrad, Dan knew more about the original language of the New Testament books than some of his profs in college.  [He even had a Greek "ball" for his IBM Selectric typewriter!!]  His passion for God's word in the street-language within ancient Roman empire was amazing.   No doubt, still is.

That's not the first time I've felt like an intellectual Pygmy.

I often preach to brilliant people who do world-class research at Iowa State University.  They've forgotten more than I'll ever know.  In a few short days, I'll be sitting in a room (with a great view of the Pacific Ocean, by the way) with 40-45 pastors, each  who's IQ likely doubles mine.   It's why I keep my mouth shut most of the time during my annual trek west.

I'm there to learn from those who have a greater command of the big picture.

But brilliance can be a blinder.   Big time.  Pride in brilliance can become a god-like idol.  Sometimes, Paul reminded Timothy, you're around people who are "always learning, but never coming to a knowledge of the truth" (2 Timothy 3:7).

Which is why Psalm 119's author suggests that love of God's Word trumps brilliance:

Oh how I love Your law!
It is my meditation all the day.

Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies,
for it is ever with me.

I have more understanding than all my teachers,
for Your testimonies are my meditation.

I understand more than the aged,
for I keep Your precepts.

I hold back my feet from every evil way,
in order to keep Your word.

I do not turn aside from Your rules,
for You have taught me.

How sweet are Your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Through Your precepts I get understanding,
therefore I hate every false way.

Yesterday, I sat with a very young Christian whose mind is being renewed and life is being transformed by memorizing God's Word.  He's been infected with the bug, and his hunger to have God's Word coursing through his mind and spilling from his mouth is...well, it's transformational.

It happens when someone can say, "You (Lord) have taught me." 

How sweet...

No comments:

Post a Comment